A solution delivered by IT service provider, that has a flat rate and unlimited IT support for a defined time, against a fixed amount of money is what we know as Managed IT service or Managed IT services. It must entail the proactive monitoring of IT workstations and infrastructure.
These days, in any kind of managed services, we align both organizations to work together. In the past, Managed IT service meant that the provider would charge hourly and fix the problems on a problem-by-problem basis. This old method is called break-fix method.
However, today, the IT provider prefers to have long-term interest with the organization. His best effort is put in aligning the company outcomes to ensure the proactive service that solves the issues.
In other words, managed services put the focus back on the IT firm. The more the problems surface in your company, the more time and money IT firm strives to designate. That for sure causes loss for IT firm, so their ninjas work hard to make sure they foresee the problems before it happens and fix it. Finally, that leads to regulating the revenues of both companies.
Why Managed IT Service is So Important?
It is very important to understand the significance of something before you implement. We will discuss four great reasons, which makes managed IT services so inevitably influential.
- Number one is the reason we just discussed. It smoothly aligns the outcome of both companies. IT Company is actually incentivized to do the best job. They are compelled to minimize the problems of client organization because their own key performance indicators directly linked to the efficiency of your IT department. This proactive support is the biggest motivation. Managed IT service will provide you proactive support.
- IT champions let you feel the ultimate peace of mind you have always longed for. You cannot avoid hiring them when you are not an IT expert. Getting your off the IT issues, helps you focus on the core business.
- Strategic IT planning is enough reason to get Managed IT service. They help you think ahead and provide you valuable advice on what and how you should devise your IT policies. Thus you do not have to worry about infrastructure and software. Your champions would upgrade and update it to reduce the risks like downtimes, crashes, and virus.
- You get access to a complete IT department. Apart from day to day IT support, you also get an IT manager and virtual CIO. You can strategically think about how IT would fit your organization. The complete outsourced IT is no less than a blessing.
What are the Challenges?
There are some challenges you need to know when you are looking to migrate to managed IT services. Let us discover all one by one.
- The first challenge is to hold the provider accountable. Obviously, the reasons for opting managed services are the goals of efficiency improvement and solution of IT problems that hinder your progress. It is imperative to hold providers accountable and ensure they offer their best. Most of them offer effective reporting to let you see exactly how much work they are doing for you and how much improvement in efficiency and productivity they are providing.
- The second challenge is to obtain strategic IT planning. You should be given some strategic IT planning as part of a managed service contract. In case you do not get this component, you may struggle to see the benefits of a services contract. Ensure that your IT firm proactively plans for the next 12 or 24 months and that it has strategies in place to improve IT infrastructure and upgrade software.
- The third challenge is to find a provider with a good track record. Before engaging in a contract, do not forget to check the track record of your provider. If they are not able to demonstrate a well-maintained record of accomplishment or represent a professional portfolio in delivering proactive service and measurable outcomes, they are not what you are looking for. Before committing, check the references. Ask clients what they have. Ask them if they have experience in dealing with companies similar to yours.
Keys to Successful Implementation of Managed It Service
The organization has to make a number of decisions before contracting with managed IT services providers. Here are three things you must contemplate.
- Estimate the total cost of IT to determine the real cost of IT for your organization. Performing the total cost analysis of IT is the very first step; you must take when moving to managed services. It is a calculation of what you are currently paying for IT support, combined with accounting for the cost of lost productivity and downtime that you may be experiencing.
Look at the total cost of the salaries of your staff within the organization. Factor in how much your inefficiency costs the organization on The first daily basis. Even the 20 minutes wasted by inefficient systems daily can add up very quickly. This is the simplest way to quantify the total cost of IT.
In addition, you should calculate the downtime. Perhaps you are down for two hours every month. Estimate how much it’s worth to your organization in terms of your team’s hourly wage.
- Identify the potential companies and request the audit of your current systems. Next step after the completion of a cost analysis of IT is to shortlist some managed IT service providers. You should select the company you are comfortable working with. The company must have a proven track record of success. Moreover, familiarity with industry is the ‘no-compromise’ requirement.
You must request them audit. It involves an IT professional giving you an entire infrastructure, software, and systems. It is usually done in one of two ways. They are on-site and remotely.
- Finalize the selection to complete the onboarding process. Make sure they meet the requirements before you hire. IT plays a crucial role in the progress of the organization. Try to work with someone that has your best interest in mind and can provide a practical and proactive service.
You may not find the right partner if the cost is only the criteria you consider. Contemplate a couple of other things. Can your choice help you improve IT efficiency? Could your selection increase productivity and decrease downtime? Do not forget asking this kind of questions during the evaluation process.
The final step is the onboarding process, of course. It is all about making security changes to confirm that the incumbent IT Company no longer has access to your systems. Some remediation work might be required to bring your site up to the best practice level. After that, you will be collecting and consolidating documentation, checklists, network diagrams, and a lot of other things which can effectively manage your IT environment.
Your managed service contract may affect after 30 or 45 days after you sign. This general process usually takes 30 days in most instances.
How To Price?
Providers, generally price their services on a flat rate monthly basis, though it heavily depends on the services that are included in the program offered. Pricing is usually based on the number of devices, with different packages priced at different levels. Some providers are there who, offer on-site customer support as an extra fee.
Are you confused about what kind of methodology you are currently utilizing Break-fix or managed service? Well, here we have some questions for you. In case the answer of one or more questions is NO, then you are using break-fix methodology.
- If your data back-up fails to run, do you realize it right at the moment?
- Do you have any idea which equipment on your network is aging and might need replacing in the next 6 months?
- Do you know if your server and all of your desktops have the latest anti-virus updates installed and are working properly?
- Do you know if the latest security patches have been installed on your network or not?
- Do you know who the heaviest internet users are?
- Do you know if those users are downloading large files, which can slow down the network, or accessing inappropriate web sites?
- Do you know which of the systems is running out of memory?
- Do you know if these systems are affecting user performance?
- Do you have only one number to call for all of your technology service requirements?
- Do you only hear from your computer people “after” the things break?
Trust is the Winner at the End
Do you know what is the most important part of the relationship between your company and managed IT, service provider? Yes, you read it in the heading correctly. It is the beautiful word of ‘TRUST’.
Your chosen company will be safeguarding your most valuable and treasured asset, which definitely is your data. Their performance will directly influence the performance of your employees. To build the connection this strong, trust is indispensable and this must be granted from both sides.
For smooth working, email must work, and so should applications. Employees must be able to access the data when they are away from the office. Streamlining the process is critical in data security.